As with all weddings, the goal should be a joyous and celebratory occasion. But, you can really make your multicultural event truly memorable by promoting understanding and appreciation of another culture. And, if you’re excited but feeling overwhelmed, hiring a specialized wedding planner could be a tremendous help to you. On with the tips…
- Programs/Order of Service: a perfect opportunity to explain the meanings behind the customs being upheld. When your guests understand a certain custom, they are more apt to participate and gain appreciation.
- Special Music~ Share and explain significant musical pieces with your guests. They will enjoy the music and feel included.
- Special Dancing~ Tell a story with a special dance, but remember to explain it in your programs.
- Food~ YES! Food… a great mediator… plenty of food and drink! An awesome buffet will not force but allow your guests to sample food and drink from a different culture. Seek referrals for caterers who specialize in the cuisine so the food is complementary.
- Attire~ By changing into traditional dress, you’ll promote excitement and interest and start conversations.
- Use Decorations and Flowers to accent your multicultural event. Create new traditions~ after all, this is your wedding!
Sources: South Asian wedding planning site